Monday, April 6, 2009

First Ever Cake Contest!

I finally had the chance to be involved in a cake contest. While I was back in the states I went to a cake contest/ show and it was so powerful. I got such influence and great inspiration from those cakes. Well, you could only imagine how excited I was when I heard there was going to be a cake contest in my area. The cake contest was going to be the weekend that I got back from California. I would have 2 days to fly in to Oki, bake a cake, color all my fondant, cover and ice my cake, then make all the detail work for my cake. It was crazy! However, I was up for the challenge, and mentally prepared.

The week came that I was flying home to Oki and I needed to start in on my cake. I made a chocolate cake with strawberry chocolate buttercream icing and filling. It didn't really taste as great as I wanted it too, but it would have to do because I didn't have time to change it. My idea was "Under the Sea". I was thinking mermaid, fish and tons of coral....

Ok so the contest was judged by how you decorate your cake and also taste. I knew I wasn't going to win taste over, so I needed to win decoration! Well, you had to decorate at the show and had an hour to do so... heres the progress shots, and the final outcome....

This is me getting started on my cake stacking.

I believe I was placing the Octopus on the cake.

I was trying to keep from talking to my husband (who was taking the photos), we were not aloud to talk to anyone.

Putting some detail on the cake... probably coral at that point.

Rolling fondant in my hand for more coral pieces.

This is the runner up....What do you all think? (The background I believe is hand painted).

The 3rd place winner. Black fondant... she crazy!!!!

This is the first place cake...What do you all think?

And finally my 2nd place winning cake!

This is my octopus up close.

My mermaid (and she is sitting on half the cake because we had to cut pieces for the judges.)

The front of the cake after being cut.

And thats me with my 2nd place cake... finished!

Ok, now you all get to comment on what you think and how well you think I did!!!

2 comments:

rylissite said...

I may be crazy, but I loved the black fondant! ha ha, so I have a story about the contest that will make you scratch your head in disbelief! I'll have to email it to you, cause it's kind of long! I still love your cake!

Anonymous said...

Loved the cake and I think the black fondant was okay too. Did you get a trophy or certificate for coming in second? Love you MOM - GOOD JOB!